[RFI] Noisey PSU (Laptop) on HF Decodeing

Fred Stevens K2FRD k2frd at mac.com
Tue May 29 19:15:36 EDT 2007

Yes. I have three laptops (old Dell Latitude 300, older Mac PowerBook 1400, newer Mac iBook 900 [main computer]). All three are RFI noisy while listening on HF when I have them plugged into commercial power. For this reason, I use them on battery power only (lighter plug type DC to DC converters for all of them) which cuts down, but doesn't eliminate the noise. If it gets too bad, I'll turn them off. Exception: I use the Dell for digital comms, mostly PSK and it's the quietest of the bunch. Most of my problems are likewise on HF and mostly on 20m (of course, the most active daytime band). Drives me up the wall.

73 de Fred K2FRD

At 8:29 PM +0100 29/5/07, William Conlan wrote:
>Hello guys,
>Has anyone experienced noise interference from Laptop PSU when listening (decoding) HF Signals.
>
>Its not such a big problem on VHF/UHF for some reason.
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Bill.

73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS