[RFI] How cost effective -- and safe -- are CFL bulbs anyway?

Dan Violette danki6x at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 18 18:40:04 EDT 2007

OK, my anecdotal info.

5 ceiling fans with 4 bulbs each, most all other in house (10+) have been around at least 5 years.  I think I lost one because the base connection to bulb bad (fan use?).  Replaced one that was audibly noisy.  Some even came from my last house and have 2-3 years more use in them.  I noticibly saw an average decrease of the electric bill (at least $5/mo) along with less heat noticed in the summer (missed in the winter).  I did go with about 3 different brands initially and one I will never buy again (forget the name, box in my "bulb box").  They worked fine, just audibly noisy and these bulbs have been put away as spares or in an area I do not care.  Never RFI and use one in a desk lamp with the radio.

Overall have been happy and they can only get better.

Dan, KI6X