[RFI] Battery charger RFI

dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Sep 26 17:26:56 EDT 2007

Here's a thought:  assuming that the charger has a 3-conductor power cord,
and also assuming that he did not use any extra cord when plugging into
the original socket, it might be that the present socket has a defective
(or non-existing) ground connection.  On the other hand, if he did use an
extension cord to connect the charger to the original socket, but he is
not using that extension cord now, see if he would mind temporarily using
that cord between the charger and the present socket.  The cord length can
be a factor in the level of radiated harmonics - I have observed that
effect directly.

I don't claim to be a battery expert, but I really doubt that 24/7 trickle
charging is necessary.  In fact, it could lead to reduced battery life,
but that depends upon the type of battery and the "smartness" of the
charger.  (Some chargers made today are very "intelligent" when it comes
to charge control.)

Good luck.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

Hardy Landskov <n7rt at cox.net>
Sent by: rfi-bounces at contesting.com
09/26/2007 09:16 AM

rfi at contesting.com
cc

Subject
[RFI] Battery charger RFI

All,
My neighbor has a 5th wheel trailer that he trickle charges the battery
24/7. Beginning about 2 weeks ago it started putting out trash from the AM
broadcast band up to 40 meters with peaks every 70 KHz. Of course that
wipes out 80 and 160. The only thing he said was different was he changed
where he plugs it in. He was tired of tripping over the cord. And he
refuses to go back to the other socket (of course).
So, what;s the best way to filter this and does he really have to trickle
charge the battery 24/7? If he could charge during the day and shut it off
at night that would work for me.
73 Hardy N7RT