[RFI] RFI to a Home Theater System

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 12 16:00:01 EST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:16:49 -0600, Ed Richardson wrote:

>Contacted Polk Engineering and their initial solution was to
>install a high pass filter from the signal input to ground. What
>ground, there is no shield or even safety ground on this item.

Send the following link to Polk Audio's "engineers." You should
tell them that the author (me) is a Fellow of the AES, Chair of
the AES Technical Committee on EMC, and Vice-Chair of the AES
Standards Committee Working Group on EMC.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Much of the RF comes in on speaker wiring. The rest of it is due
to lousy shielding. It also comes from pin 1 problems and lousy
filtering of the signal wiring. I've seen a LOT loudspeakers with
built-in power amps. I've only seen one (a Genelec) that didn't
have serious RFI problems.

Several specific recommendations:

1) First, if any of the wiring is zip cord (parallel wires),
replace it with #12 twisted pair. This often helps a lot. If your
neighbor has a problem with #12 copper, refer him the the classic
AES Paper by Prof. R.A. Greiner on the subject of Loudspeaker
wiring. He's now retired, but at the time was prof in the EE dept
of U Wis.

2) To kill RFI coupled on the loudspeaker wiring, you need chokes
tuned to the frequency of the interference. Follow the
instructions in my tutorial. A few clampons do NOTHING at HF. The
WILL help on 2M.

3) The only cures for shielding are the bucket or returning the
product to the mfr as defective. It IS defective if it picks up
radio transmissions. It's not supposed to be a radio receiver, but
it is.

4) RFI is quite frequency sensitive. You can use a VHF/UHF talkie
as an injection probe to learn some things about how stuff is
being coupled at those frequencies, but very different mechanisms
may be at play at HF.

This summer, I fixed a similar RFI problem to a home theater
system using five or six of the "big clamp-ons", one on each
loudspeaker line. The ham is a serious contester, running legal
power on a small city lot, with antennas within about 30 ft of his
neighbor's theater system.

Emphasize to Polk Audio that this is THEIR problem, NOT the ham's
problem. It's a result of THEIR design errors and compromises.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC