[RFI] Nasty RFI wiping out higher bands

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Dec 16 19:37:52 EST 2008

Hardy Landskov wrote:
> Roger,
> Ok so where do we buy appliances now that are RFI free? Seems like
> everything is going digital with a microprocessor and a switching
> power supply.
Good question.

Like computers I'm sure there are those that are quiet and those that
aren't.
I'd go to a "full line" store , pick out the ones I, or more correctly,
my wife was interested in,  explain the situation  that one creating
interference would not be acceptable and would they let us try one, with
the agreement we'd be purchasing a washer and dryer if we could find
both that did not cause interference. I've done this with HD TVs (that
cost much more than the washer and dryer combined) and other appliances
and not found a reluctant dealer yet and that includes the "big box"
stores.  This approach has a much larger effect than calling the
manufacturer after the fact or for that matter even dealing with the
manufacturer.  Particularly with the economy in its present shape, if
dealers start complaining to the manufacturer it has a much larger
effect than if you or I do so. Right now, at least for the most part the
power lies in the hands of the consumer.

OTOH I rebuilt out old washer at least twice, the dryer once, and even
our high efficiency furnace once and if necessary I could have done it
again. And don't forget those furnaces and thermostats. They too have
been reported to be a royal pain

I hate to say this, but a noisy washer, or dryer in our house probably,
might not, (I have to emphasize the probably and might not) cause a
problem as my wife and I are both hams. IOW we wouldn't be operating and
washing at the same time and washing clothes is not something we have to
do at a specific time, BUT our children are grown and gone from home and
we are both retired.

OTOH we purchased a new  energy saving washer and dryer within the last
two months. "Frigidare Affinity" and we've had no noise from
them...yet.  A few problems with the operation of the computer in the
dryer as it occasionally gets confused, but no RFI. Whether that varies
from model to model I can't say.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)