[RFI] DirecTV to ground or not to ground

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sun Dec 21 13:46:42 EST 2008

>It is my understanding that the National Electric Code requires that
>your satellite dish be connected to the same ground as your power
>company's and telephone company's grounds and to your ham radio
>station's ground -- all of them tied together.

Receive communications equipment and antenna grounding is covered in NEC
Sec. 810.  In fact, few licensed amateurs realize that the NEC has a
sub-section devoted to amateur radio station operations/grounding and is
included in Sections 810.51 through 810.58 -- and must further comply with
Secs. 810.11 through 810.15.

Under NEC 810.52, the AWG size for outdoor Tx/Rx antennas is even
considered:  For dipoles and other wire antennas, Table 810.52 specifies
that
for antenna spans less than 150 ft (45m), conductors shall not be smaller
than #14 AWG.  Over 150 ft, (e.g., 160m dipole) requires either #10
(hard-drawn CU), or #12 (copper-cladded steel). Further, the diameter of Tx
lead-in transmission line conductors are specified to be no smaller than the
antenna conductor size.  So, according to the NEC, a U.S. station may not
use #16 AWG ladder line with #14 AWG wire antennas.  In no event should
ladder/open line be less than #14 AWG.

Reality check:  So just how many of us are actually complying with the NEC
when we install our wire antennas?  Odds are it was pure luck if your
installation falls within the NEC requirement.

Paul, W9AC