[RFI] Low RFI HDTV

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Dec 23 21:22:22 EST 2008

Gary Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Dad at 92 is having vision problems and wants a HDTV. I know
> there's a fair amount of negative press on the Plasma sets a'la RFI.
> He is a ham so whatever set he gets will be watched by my mother
> whilst he is enjoying our hobby.
>
> Perhaps someone here with current experience of which sets are known
> offenders and better, which ones are the least offenders would be a
> big help.

We had a discussion about "consumer appliances" over the past couple of
weeks, but I can't find much in there about plasma sets.  "Word is" they
are much better now than the early ones. OTOH they are heavier than LCDs
which I prefer. My 144/440 duobander TM-D710 sets right between two
Samsung 226BW monitors while my HF rig is only about 3 to 4' to the
right. The HF-440 all mode rig in the shop with the KW amp is about 6
inches from another LCD monitor.
The main disadvantage I see with LCDs is the screen takes extra care to
prevent leaving marks when cleaning.  They are more fragile but not as
reflective.

I'd try to find a store that will let you "try before you buy" although
you may have to commit to to purchasing *something*.  I purchased a 40"
LCD HD set with the option that I had 30 days to bring it back and try
something else until I was happy.

With poor eyesight he's probably going to want bright with plenty of
contrast which is available in both LCD and Plasma.

73 and Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)