[RFI] Plasma

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Dec 30 15:47:44 EST 2008

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:43:40 -0800 (PST), rick darwicki wrote:

>There is an AMAZING difference in Plasma and LCDs TVs regarding
>total power drawn and idle current. A large plasma might draw
>less than a small LCD. This is just one spot to check
>http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6475_7-6400401-3.html

That's not the way I read this spreadsheet. Indeed, if you sort on
watts/sq inch, most of the plasma sets are grouped toward the
bottom of the chart (least efficient) and most of the LCDs are
grouped toward the top of the chart. I don't find that at all
amazing.

It's also instructive to read the text, which notes that their
measurements were made at default video settings, which for most
sets is so-called "torch" mode -- that is, super-bright to make
them display well in a store. The notes also say that some sets
use more reasonable defaults that are more representative of
normal use.

I've based my more limited studies on mfr spec sheets, which
almost always list the maximum power (and sometimes the idle
power). This is the most "apples and apples" way to compare them.
When I did that, I found a difference on the order of 30-40% in
favor of LCDs of comparable size.

Thanks for the link! Very useful.

73,

Jim K9YC