[RFI] TV RFI - an update

dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Feb 13 11:28:39 EST 2008

Rod,

Jim Brown, K9YC, gave you some excellent input regarding the number of
beads needed to obtain useful results in his posting.  I'll only add that
unless your problems are stemming from SSB operation on either 10m or 6m,
mix 43 is NOT what you want.  Its primary effectiveness range is roughly
30 MHz to about 300 MHz.  That's why it is so popular (lots of 2m and 6m
ops out there, plus that is also the frequency range in which most
computers have a lot of emissions).  If your on-order toroids are #43, it
might be worthwhile to contact the vendor and try to get a mix better
suited to your needs.

For those of us who may have missed earlier information on your situation,
please supply the following info:

- Band or bands in which you are operating and which cause the worst TVI
- Your transmit power level
- Orientation of your antenna(s) relative to the affected TV set and VCR
(distance away from and above, off the end or broadside, etc.)
- Type of antenna(s) you use (dipole, yagi, etc.)

I do have a neighbor to the south of me (at a distance of at least 300
feet) who sometimes complains that I cause him grief when I am on 6m SSB
or AM and aim my yagi directly toward his house.  He is on satellite dish
TV and has 2 converter boxes; one is affected by my 6m operation and the
other is not.  Why, I don't know, except that the non-affected box is at
the other end of the house, making it that much further from my antenna.
He doesn't consider it to be a major enough problem to warrant an
investigation, so I don't worry about it too much.  It so happens that my
need to aim the beam directly south for 6m QSOs is actually quite seldom.

Most of the TV cables in my house were built by me.  I use decent crimp-on
connectors applied to high quality (Belden or equivalent) RG-6/U cables
and crimped with the proper tool - no pliers.  If a cable proves to be
bad, I have only myself to blame, plus it is easy enough to either repair
or replace it.

Good luck.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

rrath at charter.net
Sent by: rfi-bounces at contesting.com
02/12/2008 08:01 PM

rfi at contesting.com
cc

Subject
Re: [RFI] TV RFI - an update

Here is an update to my TVI:

Well my wife bought some snap on beads - 43 mix - and I put all 5 of them
on the power cord. Bought a High Pass filter, put it in-line; this all is
put on
the VCR. Reason for the VCR and not the TV, the VCR is receiving the TVI
and sending it to the TV. VCR on we get massive TVI. VCR off hardly any,
but some.

No change. Blaring SSB coming thru the TV speaker and lines wiping out
the picture.

I rapped the VCR with aluminium foil with all the other items still in
place.

No change. Blaring SSB coming thru the TV speaker and lines wiping out
the picture.

I then put the snap on beads on TV, after removing them from the VCR.

No change. Blaring SSB coming thru the TV speaker and lines wiping out
the picture.

I do have 6 torroids coming. I will rap the power cord for both the TV and

VCR and rap the 75 ohm antenna cable. That will leave three torroids left.

Might have to add two torroids to the TV, VCR and the cable line.

Will let you know how things turn out.

Rod