[RFI] Wired vs Wireless Routers for RFI

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jan 12 11:18:49 EST 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:27:45 -0000, gd0tep at safe-mail.net wrote:

>The screened CAT5 I use here is fitted with suitable plugs, complete with
>screen. The plug connects to the screen of the router or what ever it is
>you're plugging into. Most modern items using CAT5 sockets are fitted with a
>screen connection.

In general, shielded ("screened" in British English) Ethernet cable is 
standard in Europe, whereas unshielded CAT5 is standard in North America. 
Thus, the Ethernet equipment and connectors you describe are the standard in 
Europe, but not in North America. Indeed, shielded CAT5 is not easy to find, 
and I've never seen an Ethernet connector with a shield connection. I'm not 
saying they don't exist, they're just not widely available to the general 


Jim Brown K9YC

More information about the RFI mailing list