[RFI] UPS Radiated Interference

wa4tuk wa4tuk-rf at comcast.net
Sat Jan 19 21:28:29 EST 2008

The units I salvaged used the transformer to trickle charge the battery
and then the transformer was driven by an inverter from the 12 volt
battery to made pseudo sine waves when needed but not all the time. The
trickle charge function was RF quiet. The UPS inverter was switched on
quickly by a relay when the AC line fails so there is a short time with
no AC present that a good PC power supply could withstand. So these were
more accurately "standby" power supplies because they allow a brief
interruption.

I guess there is a savings in copper and shipping costs to use a
switcher for the battery charge.

You might shop by favoring the heavier units and at stores that allow no
hassle returns. I'm wondering now if almost all UPS manufacturers have
gone to switching types due to energy efficiency requirements.

If you do locate a quiet model please let me know and I'm sure the list
would be interested.

Pat
wa4tuk