[RFI] FCC Class A& B Regs/ was: Low Voltage Patio Lights

dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com
Thu Sep 11 11:01:55 EDT 2008

Earl and Jim,

Part 18 is for ISM devices, as you know.  Included in that group are
lighting devices that operate at 13.56 MHz.  Surprisingly, I am not aware
of any significant QRM problems to 20m ops from those devices, but I don't
know how widespread their use it.

As for the switching power supplies for patio lights and such, I agree
with Earl that Part 15 would apply.  Nearly all switchers made today are
well above 9 kHz in operation.  If only the sleazy makers of those things
would do something about the harmonics.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

"Morse, Earl (E.A.)" <emorse at ford.com>
Sent by: rfi-bounces at contesting.com
09/10/2008 01:08 PM

<rfi at contesting.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [RFI] FCC Class A& B Regs/ was:  Low Voltage Patio Lights

Its my guess only as I never did any Part 18 work.

I don't believe that any device intended for residential use would be
covered by Part 18.  I would still guess that Part 15 Class B would be
applicable as long as the SMPS was operating at higher than 9 kHz.

Good to see you in the Sprint log this weekend Jim and on 3 bands no
less.

Earl
N8SS