[RFI] update <was> 40m (and other) noise

Sam Morgan ka5oai at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 18:39:22 PDT 2009

neighbor came home this afternoon and the noise changed
it disappeared from 40m,

and changed from light noise on 30m (compared to 40m)
to very distinct noise humps on 30m

then about an hour or 2 later,
it changed back to wiping out 40m and light noise on 30m

I had a brief talk with the neighbor,
but it was an inopportune time, just getting out of bath, oops..
so I'm going to have to try again another time/day

but in the brief chat, I did find out,
no plasma tv,
their computer is a laptop,
he did say it's power supply had been plugged in all day,
while the laptop was with them

I'm making a couple of wild guesses here and would like to have ya'll's feedback

I'm wondering if perhaps the laptops power supply was plugged in
and unloaded all day, no battery or laptop on it to charge,
then when they came home it was plugged in and the laptop turned on,
so power supply was under load and the noise changed,
then they turned it off and the change back to the original noise?

Another wild guess was if it was a cell phone charger that was unloaded during
the day and then they placed the phone(s) in the power supply cradle when they
got home, so under load....., then after fully charged, the change back to the
original noise.

I don't have either a cell or a laptop, so I have no clue how long they might
charge, or otherwise work...

I really couldn't pursue the questions when I spoke so I'll have to do it again
at another time.

If it were either one of these appliances, where would I place a snapon toroid.
Near the wall wart end or the appliance end.

Sorry for rambling, just trying to be prepared for my next encounter....

--
GB & 73
KA5OAI