[RFI] VLF interference Re: CFLs and LEDs

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Sat Feb 7 13:29:10 EST 2009

>I just had another interesting experience with a CFL.  I have a lamp in the
den with a CFL.  It is on a mechanical timer to come on in the evening and
go off after about 5 hours.  Last night my wife was sitting near the lamp
when it came on.  She called to me saying the light is smoking.  The
electronic ballast unit was hot and smoking.  Now, no harm done other than
scratch one CFL, but what if no one had been home when this happened.

>This and their terribly short life are the reasons I hate CFL's.

>"Another fine mess you've gotten us into Ollie" Whoops my mistake It's our
government and Al Gore that got us into this.

Wow.  One lightbulb fries and suddenly it's 'the government's fault!!' Check
under the bed, Martha!

Something caused the CFL ballast to fault.  I wonder if your 'mechanical
timer' might not be the culprit.  Things mechanical do have a tendency to go
awry more often than solid state suff.

I've got three CFL lights in the house on timers and never had a problem.
I've got ten CFL lights in the house on regular light switches with no
problems.  In the past three years or so, I have had one CFL fail.  Home
Depot gave me a new one.

I like CFL's.  I like Al Gore.

73
Dale, kg5u