[RFI] Noisy routers

Nathaniel Lee n1bnc at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 16:31:06 EST 2009

Hi All,

Earlier this year, mulling through the archives, there was a bit of talk about noisy routers. There was not a hefty solutions to be found without turning the earth upside down.

I have a lynksis WRT54g that is quite noisy on HF. I now have it in a large metal cookie box with holes for ventilation and assorted plumbing.  I also made two holes for the antennae for the wifi side. I also have a ferrite bead on the power supply line, and toroids on the incoming and outgoing wires. The toroids are ones bought from radio shack and are rectangular and break in the middle. The ugly signals are now down to s6 on 20meters.  I am using the regular blue cat5 cabling for two desktops. What else can one do?

Until it improves, the HF antenna is a 75m GP about 20' in the air and about 25' away from the router itself.

Can anyone reccommend a quiet router?

Nat Lee
Somersworth, NH