[RFI] Fair Rite #31 Mix Material

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Jan 12 06:06:08 EST 2009

Jim,

One point of confusion is the type of winding employed with a CM choke.  I
have always wound mine in bifilar fashion.  On some occasions, I have even
twisted a pair (winding about 6 turns/inch using a hand drill) using
different colored magnet wire to ensure proper polarity.

However, I keep seeing references to CM chokes being wound with the
conductors separated symmetrically onto the core.   Please see the core
illustrations in the link below from muRata:

http://www.murata.com/emc/example/k_3/acpwr_9.html

They seem to imply that the benefit of differential-mode inductance
cancellation is achieved by splitting the winding as shown,   DM inductance
cancellation is a very powerful benefit, particularly in audio RFI abatement
applications.  Does that benefit also apply to a bifilar-wound CM choke
where the conductors are wound together in parallel around the toroid core?
Tnx!

Paul, W9AC