[RFI] Hum in Bose QC2 headphones

Gary Smith Gary at doctorgary.net
Wed Jan 14 16:22:25 EST 2009

> If the headsphones have a ground problem the issue might be reproducible on
> another piece of equipment (PC, stereo, walkman, etc.).
>
> 73,
> Dave
> Wa3gin

This is most interesting (& it would be more interesting yet if the
hum were not an irritation).

The cord to the headset seems to be likely involved, at least that's
what I'm leaning towards.

If I have no cord attached (it is a removable plug) there has never
been an issue. Since the headphones use a battery & other than
getting a K3, I'm cheap... so the headphones have only been used to
quiet down noisy environments like lawn mowing, next to an engine &
so on. The only times I recall using it with music was with my Sansa
MP3 player and I never had an issue with it there.

So to deal with if it's happening otherwise;

* I just plugged it into my battery powered Sansa player and there is
zero hum.

* I now plugged it into my laptop while attached to the laptop PS and
there is a definite hum.
- Disconnecting the PS cord and the right sided hum is far worse.
- Touching the monitor jack (the only bare metal available) and the
hum goes away.

* Plugging it into the K3 and the hum is present.

* Disconnecting from everything with the overhead flourescents on and
there is a slight hum.
- If I touch the metal be it tip, ring or shaft the slight hum goes
away.

* touching the bare tip, ring and shaft to anything grounded in the
shack causes the hum.
- But when plugged into the K3, my touching anything metal makes the
sound go away. But there's nothing of me touching anything conductive
on the headphones.

And... going back to the laptop; with the laptop plugged in to it's
PS and with the QC2 plugged into the laptop, touching metal (like the
metal on my paddles) will stop the hum. Unplugged and the hum worsens
but touching metal other than the metal on the video put jack does
nothing.

Most interesting...

#$%^&

Gary
KA1J

Interesting the Sansa MP3 player has zero issues with the QC2 but the
radio and laptop do.