[RFI] RFI Susceptibility of DTV?

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Thu Jan 22 10:55:26 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:32:45PM -0800, Jim Brown wrote:
> Can anyone point me to engineering references that discuss the
> relative susceptibility to RFI of DTV as compared to analog TV? That
> is, is DTV more or less susceptible to interference, or about the
> same? Yes, I would certainly expect "the cliff effect." I'm
> specifically interested in RFI from hams.

	Haven't seen any engineering references yet, but,

	Given the reduced power of ATSC, nearly all of the permanent
ATSC channel assignments are at the high end of the VHF allocation, not
the low end.  Even stations that started out at the low end, seem to be
requesting reallocation further up.

	I'd expect that TVI is going to be vastly reduced, especially
from 6M operations.

	Since it's more compressed, a higher S/N is required to decode
it, but they're going to be further away from your transmit frequency.
In any case, anyone that is using OTA antennas is probably going to
pin the blame on the transition, and not necessarily the neighborhood
ham.  Good luck & 73,

	Majdi, N0RMZ