[RFI] Looking for ideas about yet another noise source

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Jul 12 17:47:09 PDT 2009

Frank Haas KB4T wrote:
> Chris:
>
> The random nature of your pulsing interference means you will have to
> invest more time to find the source. It's not going to be easy and
> will likely be very time consuming because of its intermittent nature.
> You have the right tools so now you have to use them to the best
> advantage.

How about building up one of those "doppler shift" antennas?  I've seen
them used on 2-meters and for close in work I'd think it could be
adapted to 20.

For years I've chased what at times can be an obnoxious and loud hash.
It should be easy to catch as it's often on for some time, but
unfortunately when I get the chance to chase it, every time I get about
a city block to the SE it disappears and does not come back.  It's like
they are watching for me...Nothing like a little paranoia.
When it's on it's loud at well over S-9 including the entire 6-meter
band, down to some where a bit above 40 meters.  It's normally a day
time signal that is strong from the NE to S where it fades rapidly.  The
only electric fence in that direction is probably a bit over a mile.
While there is one to the S that I've never heard.  There is one of the
big high tensions lines that at its closest is about a quarter mile to
the NE but I've never heard anything in that direction.

OTOH I haven't heard it in over a year.

73

Roger (K8RI)