[RFI] Mast-mount TV Pre-Amp -- Avoiding RFI & Overload?

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Wed Jun 3 20:28:57 PDT 2009

Two things to consider:

1.  After the digital transition next week, there will be very few
stations left on channels 2-6. If there are none on these channels in your area,
you can get by with a smaller antenna (element length), which will  reduce
pickup at HF and 6 meters.   Likewise, a HIGH-PASS filter  cutting off just
below channel 7 (174 MHz) will be the ideal situation.   This would also
reject two meter ham signals.  I don't know if such filters  are readily
available in the marketplace.

2.  Non-linearity will be a potential problem in digital TV  preamps.  If
you are out in the weak-signal sticks,  overload and  non-linear response
aren't as likely to be a problem, but in areas close to the  transmitters it
could be.  You can have too much of a good thing with  digital TV.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 6/3/2009 11:15:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,