[RFI] Mast-mount TV Pre-Amp -- Avoiding RFI & Overload?

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Jun 3 21:21:32 PDT 2009

kd4e wrote:
> Actually, a digital signal is either real good or it is real
> gone.

There is a thin band, or very narrow range where the signal breaks up,
pixelizes, pauses, or goes out of sync
between the audio and video, but it is so narrow it is seldom seen. When
the signal reaches that level it is susceptible to all sorts of
interference.

> Here in the fringe area we need help to get the signal strength
> we need for a consistent signal lock.

I've found the digital signals to be far more reliable than the analog.
I now get stations from Lansing and the Northern Detroit area that look
as good as locals where the same stations on analog aren't worth
watching. I now receive about twice as many off the air signals as I did
with analog and the antennas don't seem to be quite as fussy to
pointing.  Unfortunately there are two groups of stations with one from
SE to SW with another on about 330 degrees.  So I have two antennas
which I switch between.  BTW these are only about 10' from the tribander
which gets the legal limit.
> If I could find a mast-mount pre-amp which includes
> bandpass and low-pass filters, to keep non-TV signals
> out, then it should do a good job.

I use antenna mounted preamps on two large UHF antennas that pick up
both VHF and UHF.  The low band VHF is strong enough that the UHF
antenna does right well. Of course the distance is only about 35 to 40
miles over flat land and my antennas are at 90 plus feet.  HOWEVER they
are only about 15 to 20 feet above the 144/440 diamond repeater antenna
(Up to 160W but normally 50), about 20' below the 7L C3i 6-meter antenna
being fed a KW and about 30' below the 144 and 440 arrays with the
capability of 1KW out on the 144 band. We are limited to 50 watts on
440.  So far no problems with my antennas but I did get into channel 12
on my neighbor's TV in the garage using rabbit ears.  I gave him a good,
but small all band TV antenna and that ended that problem.

I'd go with a 1/4 wave stub to notch out the 2-meter band if it's a
problem or build a filter using a group of stubs as they recommend
behind the henry 2002A.    A KW on six doesn't seem to bother anything here.

73

Roger (K8RI)