[RFI] Latest RFI-proof SUVs

Doug Rehman doug at k4ac.com
Thu Jun 11 09:11:15 PDT 2009

Power comes directly from the battery. The radio is under the right rear
seat; I use an automotive 12V relay, with the coil powered by the ignition
switch, to turn the radio on/off.

To ground the radio, I took out one of the seat bolts, cleaned the paint
from around the hole in the floorboard, and used a ring terminal to attach a
#6 wire.

The stake pocket mounts use star washers to cut thru the paint to ground the
mount (liberal amounts of grease keep away rust). (There is a hole in the
bottom of the stake pocket that the bolt/star washer goes thru to lock down
the Geotools mount.) The shield of the coax connects to the Geotools mount
and is grounded to the truck via the bolt/star washer.

I do have ferrite cores stacked on the coax as it comes out of the stake
pocket, but none on the power to the radio. The power wire from the battery
runs down the right side of the passenger compartment in the cable tray.

I did not run a ground wire from the radio to the battery. I used the same
installation method as land mobile trunk mount radios have used for a couple
of decades (A+ to the battery and ground from a screw located very close to
the radio's chassis.)

One cautionary note: the Tundra was completely redesigned for 2007; I've
never paid any attention to the Sequoia, but I would suspect that it was
redesigned for 2007 as well since they share so many components. Problems
that may have existed in a 2006 or earlier model may not exist in the 2007
or later models.

Doug
K4AC