[RFI] 20 Meter Noise Level

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Fri Mar 13 10:38:00 PDT 2009

Is it a plasma TV?

Don't they have their own issues too?

never get over." Ben Franklin
-----Original Message-----
From: rfi-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:rfi-bounces at contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 11:42 AM
To: RFI List
Subject: Re: [RFI] 20 Meter Noise Level

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:56:37 -0400, David C. Hallam wrote:

>Is it possible that my high noise level on 20M is related to my TV.  I
>have an older Mitsubishi big screen projection TV in the living room.

Sure -- you just proved it!

> any ideas how to tame it?

Well, you already found one -- turn it off. :)  There are two ways the noise
is escaping from the TV. 1) The wires connected to it are acting as antennas
and radiating it. 2) The wires inside the set are radiating it because it is
badly shielded.

#1 can be fixed with ferrite chokes. You MUST use multi-turn chokes.
Beads without turns won't do a thing. All of the wires are possible noise
antennas -- the power cord, the coax from your cable TV box or antenna,
audio cables, cables to a VCR.  See

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf for lots of detailed advice.

#2 is fixed by turning it off.

73,