[RFI] Alarm Systems and EMI/EMC

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun May 10 08:23:44 PDT 2009

On Sat, 09 May 2009 21:26:01 -0700, Michael Tope wrote:

>The feedback I am getting suggests the wireless systems are
>superior to the wired systems in terms of EMI-EMC. This is not
>surprising since your are getting rid of long lengths of twisted
>pair wires when you go with a wireless sensor system. I don't need
>to tell you that it is those wires where the trouble often comes
>from.

Good morning Mike,

Strongly agree. But as KB4T observes,  they can also suffer from
poor design.  Another example. Many of us have converted our
Ethernet installations to use 802.11b (WiFi). These systems can work
fine and I've never seen interference TO their operation, but the
WiFi hardware is often radiates from its poorly shielded enclosure
and often puts out common mode that is radiated by the cable between
it and a cable or DSL router.

73,

Jim K9YC