[RFI] Noisy Noisy Noisy Front End

kd4e doc at kd4e.com
Thu May 21 09:26:39 PDT 2009

Here in Hudson in West Central Florida, there are spots where
the RFI from the poorly installed cable-tv lines is so loud
that
you can hear it completely desense the front-end of the AM-BC
tuner in your car.  Amazing!

Yes, I know it is illegal and stupid (wasted power for them)
but
trying to document the problem and then force them to fix it is
more than I have the resources or patience.

I don't have anything HF in the car at the moment so haven't
tested Ham spectrum - but have little doubt the RFI is
broadband.

Since I don't live next to those lines I will leave it to
the poor
folks who do - let them yell at the cable companies, PUC, and
FCC.

I have informed local AM-BC stations of the problem and they
didn't have the courtesy to even acknowledge my E-mail, guess
they don't care that people cannot receive their signal.  Sigh.

 >  I run about a s7-9 on most of the bands and it goes over
20+
> when passing through some areas.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> K3CLT Chuck Tobias
Hello there, I am new to the group. I have had my 857d for
almost a year now, and I am about ready to rip it out of my
truck. Before I had this radio in my truck, I had a RCI
2950, then a Cobra 200 GTL DX (I know I know), and they
worked well, nice quit receiver...But this radio...QRM is a
bad problem...I have been driving around and had a +20 noise
level, with the attenuator on! Two other friends of mine
have the exact same complaint, so I know it has nothing to
do with the installation, so what I am wanting to know, has
anyone had any luck tackling this issue? Any INRAD or
COLLINS SSB filters to help?
Thanks and 73's  Tom  KC9MSA

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
FS/Swap/Wanted: http://kd4e.com/swapn.html