[RFI] RF quiet UPS?

Raymond LaRue Raymond.LaRue at SkyAngel.com
Wed Oct 28 13:13:21 PDT 2009

FYI:  All square or stepped wave (read cheap) UPS's generate harmonics
well up into the HF bands.

More expensive but RF quiet, online models that produce a sine wave
output with 1 to 2% or less, distortion, are typically clean.  I have
double conversion a PowerWare 1KVA and a Triplight 1KVA sine wave models
in the ham shack.  They are active (on-line) all the time and produce no
perceptible RF noise.

At Skyangel we use Staco on-line UPS's exclusively.  We have about 25 or
30 of them from 1 to 3 KVA.  They are power factor corrected, low
distortion units.  They also work well with a generator.
73,

Ray, W4BYG
Vice President, Broadcast Engineering
SkyAngel US, LLC

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of
taking care of them."  Thomas Jefferson

www.skyangel.com