[RFI] RFI from telephone Equipment

Paul w2le at comcast.net
Tue Sep 22 12:31:42 PDT 2009

For the past six months I've been putting up with S9 noise on 17 & 15
meters.  On the 7800 scope it's just solid green, no pattern in it.
Doesn't look like it's going to fix itself so took portable SW receiver
out and found the source - where the underground phone lines come up to
a terminal box where the lines to the houses connect, there is a good
signal, loud with the receiver antenna collapsed.

An Embarq tech was here today cleaning the batteries in the remote
switch (and fiber to wire interface) - with the doors open there are
several areas in the switch that are really noisy, but not too bad when
the doors are closed.

I'm guessing that noise is being coupled to the underground cable - any
ideas of what to tell them to do to fix this?  Maybe a bad ground, or
put toroids on the cables?

Thanks

Paul  W2LE