[RFI] Am I hosed? RFI problems

Kelly Johnson n6kj.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 19:19:54 PDT 2010

It took me two weeks, but I'm now about 99% certain that I found the
source of my horrible RFI problem.  It's a house about 100 yards from
me.  A group of questionable renters just moved into that house a few
weeks ago.  The noise is worse than anything I have ever heard.  It's
S9/S9+ on 40m through 10m; dropping down to S7 or so on 6m (all while
I beam that direction, which is unfortunately the direction I must
beam for the East Coast from here in CA).  I can null it out if I beam
perpendicular to that direction, but unfortunately, there aren't that
many stations of interest directly north or south of me :-(

When I told the renter today that I have heard the noise start at 8am
the last 2 days, his first response was: "there's a guy here that has
a very, powerful computer that he turns on at 8am".  He asked the guy
to turn it off to see if it was the source and the guy clamed to have
done it, but I don't believe he did.  I think he was just trying to
get rid of me.  The noise was still there.  When I asked the guy if he
would be willing to shut everything off to see if it went away he said
no.  I don't know what to do now.  My HF station is nearly worthless
at this point with S9+ noise.  I can't hear much of anything above the
hash.  My S meter read S0 last night at 10:30pm and still S0 this
morning from 6am until 8am.  I was sitting in front of the radio at
8am when the noise came on.  The S meter instantly jumped from S0 to
about S7.  It slowly got worse until it peaked at S8 on CW in a CW
250HZ bandwidth and S9+ in a 2KHz bandwidth on SSB.

Any advice (other than move, wait for these guys to move, or something illegal)?