[RFI] DSL/Router Problems

Ken Winterling wa2lbi at frontiernet.net
Mon Aug 16 13:47:23 PDT 2010

Bill,

I would first try to isolate the problem.  Try disconnecting the wireless
router from the DSL modem and connect ONE PC by a CAT 5 cable directly to
the DSL modem and repeat your 80 M high power test.  This will eliminate the
router from the equation.  If your internet connection to the single PC is
unaffected then the problem is likely with the wireless router or its
connecting cables.  If the internet connection is lost while connected to
only the DSL modem then the problem is likely with the DSL modem or its
connecting cables.

You said you "have put RF cores on all of the wires leading to the DSL  box
and the router".  Did you use an individual core on each wire (power
supply/wall wart, DSL cable from the wall, Ethernet patch cable to router)?
Did you wind several turns of each cable through the cores?

Please let the list know the results of your tests.

Ken, WA2LBI