[RFI] Ferrite bead disintegration

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Aug 23 06:10:57 PDT 2010

I took apart a home-made 100 bead receiving-only common mode choke
yesterday.  As I peeled off the electrical tape I was surprised when
each bead that came out of the wrapping disintegrated into dozens of
fragments.  I think I saved about 5 beads out of a 100-bead choke.

What could have caused this?  The choke was used over 300 feet away from
my transmit antennas, and never used for transmitting.  Morte to the
point, can I expect to see the same thing in the feedpoint chokes of my
80m 4-dipole lazy vee array, which have been up and in use for ~10 years?

--
73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com