[RFI] Ferrite bead disintegration

Andy ingraham.ma.ultranet at rcn.com
Wed Aug 25 05:58:01 PDT 2010

> ...  I'm much more
> inclined to think some combination of moisture and thermal cycling - perhaps
> even freezing - may have been responsible.

I am too.  I don't know much about the durability of ferrites, but I
am envisioning yours as rather thin and possibly delicate, and a year
or two in a northern USA winter might do a number on them.  Then
again, I haven't seen stories about problems with ferrite core damage
due to weather.  I wouldn't be surprised if some ferrite formulas are
more sensitive to this than others; and that the larger cores used for
transmitting might be more durable.

Besides, if it was lightning damage, I would expect more outwardly
visible signs, like the whole thing being blasted apart.

But we do get some interesting winter thunder-snow storms up here from
time to time.

A connection to your transmitting tower isn't necessary.  If that
tower was hit, anything and everything within at least a few hundred
foot radius could have been affected.

Andy