[RFI] Need help identifying RFI

Gary Tuck gtuck at mac.com
Thu Dec 9 08:25:50 PST 2010

About a month or more ago I started getting QRN reminiscent of the power line noise I've had in the past--strongest on 80 and 40m and decreasing gradually as the frequency increased.  In the past 20 years we have been at this QTH, the power company has found and fixed the problems--I know, I'm very fortunate.  Although I've notified the power company again, I'm not sure the RFI is from the power lines.  It lacks much of the sputtering spitting nature that I've heard before.  It sounds almost like band noise but about 5-7 S-units stronger than I normally hear.  It is on 24-7 with rare breaks of just a few minutes which makes me think it's not someone's plasma TV or furnace.  We have no new appliances in our house and I've reconfirmed ground connections, turned off routers and computers and none of it makes any difference.  The wx has been cold windy and rainy so I've not walked around the neighborhood with an AM radio yet.  The amplitude of the QRN seems constant--in other words, I've not seen any spikes although I have only my S meter and ears to work with here.  My antenna is a 80m slanting delta loop.

Any thoughts, guidance, questions would be very helpful.  Thank you!

73, Gary W7TEA