[RFI] Stellar Labs 100' Twisted Pair

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Dec 14 08:40:58 PST 2010

Dave,

I rarely disagree with anything you say, but I strongly disagree with
this one.

Pro audio is my expertise, and LOTS of experience says that cable
shielding is NOT important for RFI rejection on loudspeaker lines, but a
decent quality TWISTED PAIR is VERY important.  Indeed, cables that have
a foil/drain shield (a drain wire runs with the foil so you can solder
it) are well known to CAUSE RFI.  See the pieces about SCIN on my website.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

No disagreement about the ferrite choke, but I would use the twisted
pair first, and add the choke only if RFI was still an issue.   With an
infinite budget, certainly do both. :)

73, Jim K9YC