[RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI

Ash Thornton thorntonash at comcast.net
Sat Feb 13 10:08:42 PST 2010

Some of you had requested I follow up on my findings here in the
Boston area.

And, thank you to all for the tips and suggestions.

NStar did come out last week with their Radar Engineering VHF/UHF
gear with a yagi for pinpointing the noise. The noise was so high
along the power lines they could not pinpoint a specific pole or spot
unfortunately. Not sure just what this means. So, their next step is
to upgrade the grounds they found that were below spec.

Interestingly, just after they were out we had a light, wet snow and
the noise quickly all but disappeared for about 15 hours and then
quickly rose back to previous level. This has happened each time we
have had a storm. This last snow was so light  and the noise
disappeared with the first few flakes it is hard to believe that
helped, but there was a big rise in the humidity? I would assume this
indicates an out door fault, given the correlation with snow?

There was a very low level of noise coming from the same area, but
did not have a chance to get back to check it with the 440 Mhz RCVR,
but will be ready next time.

Stay tunedand thanks,

W1FQ

PS

Was thinking about calling our volunteer fire Dept to hose the poles
down given we don't use hammers, but.......Just kidding