[RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Sat Feb 13 14:24:04 PST 2010

    One of the tricks my power company interference guy uses is to rotate the UHF yagi from horizontal
with the hi-wires to vertical and sweep the area. His comment to me was that about 90% of the noise
he finds is due to problems with the ground wire and the neutral hi-line. The last problem we found
 here was a guy wire back stay that was touching the neutral hi-line. I could hear it over a mile away
and it would come and go with the environment.
  One of the first things I always do now is to very carefully inspect the ground wiring with binoculars
 to see if there is any evidence of that wire touching any other metal objects on the pole that are not bonded.
    Ultrasonic is the way to go when you get close in for most cases except lightning arrestors,
 transformers, and underground wiring coming up inside the connection boxes.
  GL   Lee  K7TJR