[RFI] Snow and Power Lines

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Tue Feb 16 16:13:44 PST 2010

>This area is about as rural as it gets, and no, it still isn't normal.  Most
likely cause of interference around rain/snow is moisture bridging gaps
between cracks or other flaws in insulators.  Until its found you won't know
though.
David Robbins K1TTT>

    I have a noise situation here with a substation about a mile away. I have been
 trying to get it fixed for four years. The noise is very predictable as it always
 appears at the slightest hint of moisture in the air. Either fog, snow, or rain will
 result in loud three phase sounding noise. Unfortunately the interference
 investigator is never here when the bad weather is. Thanks for the possible
 description as this sort of confirms my suspicions. My next project is to build
 an ultrasonic detector as I am determined to pinpoint the problem. I have
allready found it with radios but need to pinpoint it to an exact cause. It seems
 the power company cant pinpoint it for many reasons.Of course I have to
 remain outside the fence.
   I will post here if we ever get it fixed.
Lee  K7TJR  OR