[RFI] Inbound RFI - strange source affecting 160 and 80

WX5L wx5l at charter.net
Sun Feb 21 16:33:01 PST 2010

Horizontal sweep noise from a nearby TV. Actually it's 15.75 kHz and so full
of harmonics that it carries well into the HF band. It couples with the
cable input which acts like an antenna very nicely. It also couples with the
A/C input.

I've found most LCD are quiet but plasma's and older CRT TV's are a
different story.

Three houses down about 600 feet was a Panasonic Viera that screamed
horizontal sweep. If you listen closely you can hear the RFI change in pitch
as the screen changes pictures. I tried #31 toroids on the cable and AC cord
with very little help. The problem was finally resolved when a for sale sign
went up and that Viera left the neighborhood.

Check your TV's first but if it's not yours get hold of a portable shortwave
receiver tuned to one of the peaks. I used 14.081.5 because it bugged me on
RTTY so much.  Do some walking around the neighborhood listening to that
raspy note until you get it strongest.

There was not much I could do with that Viera since the emissions were so
hot but I have seen #31 toroids on the cable and AC help on lesser RFI
emissions.

Another indicator is when the noise disappears late at night or is also gone
early in the morning when the set is not on.

Once you locate the offending set get back with the group then we can talk
about how to tactfully convince your neighbor that their perfectly working
TV is interfering with your radio.

73,
Randy
WX5L