[RFI] Does a power pole generating RFI always generate ultrasonics?

Kelly Johnson n6kj.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 18:35:05 PDT 2010

Most people (including me) believe that when it isn't raining...HV
lines tend to be far quieter than the LV/MV neighborhood lines.
Corona IS an issue with the HV, though.

I have a 112kV (I think) line running only about 200 feet from my
antenna.  It is whisper quiet all the time except when it rains.  The
corona noise during a rainstorm is deafening.  I just turn off the rig
when it rains.  Fortunately, it doesn't rain all that often here in
California so it is tolerable.  Rain did, however, ruin my November SS
CW 2008 score!

I also operated the California QSO Party a couple of years ago
portable from a site that was only maybe 200 yards or so from some HV
lines and it was quiet as well.

Overhead LV/MV lines in the neighborhood are a far bigger problem.
Even the 12kV lines are problematic.