[RFI] Linksys Router Birdies

Christopher E. Brown cbrown at woods.net
Thu Mar 11 16:38:34 PST 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Tony wrote:

> All,
>
> What is the best method of getting rid of router birdies? I have a Cisco
> Linksys router with both wireless and wired connections. There's a long
> run (50ft) of unshielded CAT 5 cable going to the shack which I'll be
> replacing with shielded cable. I'm told the wallwart can be a source of
> RFI as well.
>
> Is there a particular brand of Ethernet cable that's shielded better
> than others?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony -K2MO

Using STP requires a STP supporting device.  It will have a metal contact
fingers around the inside rim of the RJ45 port made to contact the metal
body of the RJ45 STP connector.

This is not normally found in consumer devices.  Even when it is, you tend
to end up with device internal RF on the outside of the shield.

2.4 inch Type 31 toroids, on the power and on each ethernet cable leaving
the device.  For a long run put one on each end of the ethernet cable.

Consult Jims paper for the proper # of turns for max supression on the
freqs the birdies are bothering you.

That and using *quality* cabling will get you more than STP.

These devices like to put lots of internal clock noise onto the cables in
common mode, the toroids reduce that.  Low cost devices and poor cabling
tend to be les than perfectly balanced.  Any unbalance leads to signaling
ending up as common mode on the cable.