[RFI] Linksys Router Birdies

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wesattaway at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 11 19:17:27 PST 2010

My experience is similar to Roger's. I have several computers, all
different, with a wireless Access Point, a Cisco router, Bellsouth DSL
router/modem (running in bridge mode), network switch, KVM switch, and other
stuff all within 3 to 5 feet of the radio and have never noticed any noise
or birdies. Antennas are 100'-150' away, which might explain it.

One thing I have found from past experience is that if any coax plugs are
not properly installed (poorly soldered shields, etc), and are not screwed
on tight, then various potential noise sources can become a problem.  This
is the first thing I would check if I had a noise problem because imperfect
shields in the shack would allow vastly increased noise ingress.

I think the best way to attack network noise problems (assuming no connector
problems) would be with multiple turns of CAT5 through suitable cores. This
seems to be what most people are finding success with, particularly in
situations where the antenna may be close enough to pick up some direct
radiation from the network equipment.

Shielded CAT5 is really not required and, as has been pointed out, is not a
workable solution for the equipment situations we are dealing with.

1138 Waters Edge Circle - Shreveport, LA 71106
    318-797-4972 (office) - 318-393-3289 (cell)
        Computer Consulting and Forensics