[RFI] Metal Halide Bulbs?

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue May 4 20:05:20 PDT 2010

On 5/4/2010 8:15 PM, kd4e wrote:
> Two questions about Metal Halide lights:
>
> There are commercial-grade fixtures above each of the
> two doors that use the Philips M-90 bulb and also have
> light-sensors mounted on top.

I'm not even familiar with them, but I have 22 8' long, 75 Watt,
fluorescent tubes suspended from the shop ceiling.  Now there is little
difference in the price of self igniting fluorescents, and the ones that
use the ballast in the fixture, BUT when a ballast needs replacing it's
cheaper to purchase a whole new fixture than just the ballast, unless
you buy them a 100 at a time.  It only looks cheaper until you take a
look at the operating and maintenance costs.  I don't know, but I'd bet
it's that way with these new lamps as well, or soon will be.

73

Roger (K8RI)