[RFI] Lennox furnace: when it heats it roars (RFI)

Don Nelson n0ye at comcast.net
Thu Nov 11 09:03:27 PST 2010

Hi all,

We have a new Lennox furnace which is very rich in RFI energy. One
observation is that the RFI has a very broad spectrum and it's presence
is not noticeable by audio sound alone. However, my S meter noise floor
goes up by 3 or more S units when the furnace is heating the house. The
furnace we have is the Lennox G71MMP, said to be a 95% efficient furnace.

The “reference” antenna that I use is a Cushcraft R7 vertical mounted on
the side of the house. The magnitude of the RFI decreases as I listen on
each higher band. On 40m, the RFI from the furnace is over S9 compared
to baseline noise floor of S6 when the furnace is off. The receiver is a
K3 with a pretty good S meter calibration (5 dB per S unit). The
difference from background noise is on the order of 20 dB on 40m and on
20m. The noise decreases as I listen on higher bands. What the furnace
RFI is on 80m and 160m are unknown because I do not have a “reference”
antenna for those bands.

There are two variable speed motors in this furnace. One motor blows air
throughout the house. The second motor is the “induction” motor and
delivers outside air into the burn chamber. This induction motor and the
drive circuit are the source of the RFI. The blower motor, when running
alone does not generate noticeable RFI. I have used a clamp-on toroid
with a multi-turn secondary connected to an oscilloscope to sample RF on
various leads emanating from the control board inside the furnace. The
four leads going to the induction motor have significant noise on each
as does a ground wire going to the furnace chassis. The other leads
going elsewhere are quiet. The noise I observe on the induction motor
leads is characterized as fast rise time pulses.

I have tried to engage Lennox in discussions on this RFI problem with
limited success to date. The furnace installer has basically given up
without trying pleading ignorance which is understandable. I am working
with the ARRL RFI guru.

I am trying things to mitigate the RFI with limited success so far. I
would very much like to hear what others have done to mitigate their
furnace RFI problems.

Don, N0YE