[RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!

Christopher E. Brown cbrown at woods.net
Mon Nov 29 11:40:55 PST 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:

> I have had up to 18 CFLs, purchased from WalMart, General Electric, 13W,
> part number FLE13HT2/2/XL/SW running close to radio equipment/antennas with
> no detectable noise.
>
> it is a "soft white" spectrum bulb, I think it is a replacement for a 60W
> incandescent.
>
> There was another model, I forget which one that ONE bulb eliminated all
> reception at least through VHF.  if I find it again, I will post the info
> here.
>
> Kurt

Side note on this front, if they are good now you might want to check
again every few months.

There were a few CFs in my home when I moved in.  Over about a year I
swapped everything to CF.  Was a mix of GE and Sylvania.

Picked up a sample, checked for noise and if good went back and picked up
more.

Found a number of noise types and did not use them, everything that went
in was quiet (as in could not hear on my antennas, no noticable change
with pickup loop near breaker box, they could all be heard within a few
feet with a pickup look).

Some time later, 6 months plus after finishing conversion I was hunting
down some new noise and found multiple CFLs that had started making noise.

A full check showed that half of the CFLs in the house had started making
noise, after 6 to 18 months in normal service.

None of these were in fixtures where they might overheat, etc.

I chose to go back, I only have CFLs in a few locations (easy to check and
change).