[RFI] Bulb rumors.

Christopher E. Brown cbrown at woods.net
Tue Nov 30 02:17:16 PST 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Andy wrote:

> They are fairly cheap here.  But I haven't bought any in years ...
> haven't needed to!

And that is I think the diff.

Of my few remaining CFLs most are 5 - 7 years old, and appear to be much
better construction than the newer ones (precision molded higher density
plastic housing, etc.

All of the noise and issues fall into place if you keep in mind...

Expensive product going into low cost mass production in china.

Build a switch mode power supply equiv for the ballast, try to make it the
diameter of a quarter by 1/2 inch tall, then try to mass produce for
pennies.

All of mine started as cool running and fairly quiet.  No noise unless a
pickup loop was close to the bulb, then sounded like a low power switcher.

Most (at least 80%) of the ones that started making noise

Showed obvious signs of progressive P/S failure and heating (case running
very warm to spots on case showing discoloration from heat)

OR

Were making much louder humming noise.

Signs of a failing power supply.

Other than the issue of finding bulbs with a high CRI, I have no issues
with FL fixtures.  A good quality filtered electronic ballast and all is
good.  Its trying to cram it all into the base of an screw in bulb that is
an issue.