[RFI] Bulb rumors.

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Nov 30 14:34:14 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 15:54, Roger (K8RI) <k8ri at rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> Jut the opposite here.  The newer ones are cheaper, but last longer, get
> up to full brightness faster, and handle low temperatures better.  I
> have 4 200 watt CFLs in the garage and they are doing just fine.  Yes,
> in the cold weather (30s "F" and lower" they do take two or three
> minutes to come up to full brilliance.  The only drawback is the high
> wattage CFLs are still expensive.

"High-lumen CFLs."

In terms of lighting, wattage, as I know you know, means the amount of
power consumed and has little to do with amount of light output.  The
lighting industry has done itself a disservice by pushing the "100 W
equivalent" crap.  Tell me the Lumens, tell me the Watts, and I'll
figure it out.

A CFL that consumed 100 W would be very bright.  And probably pretty warm.  :-)