[RFI] HomePlug Experience?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Oct 7 11:23:59 PDT 2010

Somewhat related, I just discovered more low-level switch-mode noise coming
from my Netgear 16-port Ethernet router.  I cracked open the case and
discovered what I've recently been seeing elsewhere in consumer equipment:
Seemingly, manufacturers have a love affair with SMT mounted switch-mode
DC/DC converters.  In the case of this router, 12VDC is divided and
regulated by two MP1410ES SMT devices.  One chip regulates to 3.3VDC; the
other regulates to 1.8VDC.  I have already suppressed the incoming line cord
with 10T on a #31 core and it helps, but the spurs can still be seen and
heard about 10 dB above the noise floor on 20m.

I would tackle the problem right on the PCB, but given some physical
constraints, it's just too cumbersome to experiment with more chokes on the
input and output side of those two tiny regulators.  I have a pair of LM317
kits on their way.  The new linear regulator boards will mount on the mother
board with 3M double-sided tape.  This way, I can forever get rid of the
switch-mode noise from the router and if necessary, pull the LM317 boards
and place into a new router if it fails in the future.  This will now be the
fourth device where I've replaced internal DC/DC switching converters with
linear regulators.  And that's in addition to replacing a multitude of
switching wall warts with linear types.  Linear wall warts are becoming more
difficult to find as the entire world strives for better efficiency and
economy with switching devices.

What's interesting is that some switching wall warts are extremely quiet.  I
recently autopsied a Netgear switching wall wart and found zero RFI
abatement.  Next, I need to compare that unit with a switching wall wart
that produces no RFI and investigate the circuit differences.

Paul, W9AC