[RFI] Power Line Noise Conundrum

chuck shinn chuck.shinn at verizon.net
Sat Oct 9 14:22:47 PDT 2010

 Thanks Paul I agree. I had a note off list about the self same VHF
receiver...I am assuming folks do not want to buy redundant equipment
and since aircraft frequencies are sometimes covered in handi's, that
would make an economical solution. However, there is certainly no rule
of thumb you can count on that says seeking and finding RFI at VHF
translates well to HF. In my most recent case, 30M only was
affected...so I sniffed at 10 Mhz. In a world with almost daily
incursions of stray interference into our HF domain, a simple setup like
mine at least keeps you in the game. I could add a step attenuator
(Elecraft comes to mind) to make it better and perhaps a receiver with
an S-Meter, but in 2 to 3 years of using this setup it has proved all I
have needed. Reading absolute signal levels is way past anywhere I have
been! :)

The tolerances are Kewt eh?

Best, Chas