[RFI] Ladder Line and RFI/Noise

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Tue Oct 19 11:29:29 PDT 2010

> Thanks Jim. In my case I'm 1000 feet from the nearest neighbors, so my
> ladder-line fed dipole isn't an issue in that regard.

The issue for most of us is not limited to our neighbors, but our own
home-grown noise sources.  I agree with Jim.  Parallel tuned feeders can be
susceptible to nearby noise sources.   The problem become more prevalent
with the wider-spaced lines.  I use 600-ohm line with a very wide conductor
spacing.  That has caused me to dig pretty deep into RFI mitigation around
my home as well as the neighbors around me.  Despite the pain in dealing
with the noise, it's been a worthwhile effort, especially since I can tune
anywhere from 160m through 10m using a motorized high-power ATU outside the
shack with about 100 feet of tuned feeders.

As line spacing narrows, line loss increases, but immunity improves.  A long
time ago E.F. Johnson sold "transposition" line blocks to help with the
noise issue.  Back then, switch-mode sources did not exists, but motor brush
forms of interference has been with us since the time of Marconi.  I have no
idea as to the effectiveness of the blocks.  The blocks are placed on the
line every 1-2 feet to form a continuous, moderate twist.  The blocks are
made of glazed ceramic and really add to the line weight.

Anyone have experience with the transposition blocks?

Paul, W9AC