[RFI] AM radio RFI from 2010 Ford Escape

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Oct 27 15:44:29 PDT 2010

On 10/27/2010 6:29 PM, John Brosnahan -- W0UN wrote:
> We recently purchased a 2010 Ford Escape with the 3.0L V6 engine and
> automatic transmission.  I entertained the idea of adding a mobile
> rig to the vehicle but the noise level in the stock AM radio has
> discouraged me unless I can sort out and fix the source of the RFI.
I ran into computer noise some years back when looking for a new car.
This was when Chrysler came out with the so called "cab forward" design.
The V-6 in those generated a computer "carrier" on 147.00 and it was
rock steady. If the can had set long enough it was quiet, but all you
needed to do was unlock, or open an unlocked door and it was there.  It
was also strong enough to drown out the local repeater from just over 2
miles when it was nearly a block away from me.

Several dealers worked with me, but the corporation was pretty much non
communicative.

Perhaps the Ford dealer  or even corporation might be willing to work
with you.

OT OH I have heard of a number of fuel injector noise incidents over
recent years. They were not specific to any particular car IIRC.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)