[RFI] Across-the-bay line noise from 17 miles away

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Tue Feb 1 11:20:26 PST 2011

Rick is precisely correct.

When HF communications was in its heyday, the U.S. Navy NSS transmitter facility (Annapolis MD) was on the 230 acre Greenbury Point peninsula, nearly completely surrounded by the Cheaspeake Bay.

http://wikimapia.org/1646679/Naval-Radio-Transmitting-Facility-Annapolis-NSS

On the other hand, the NSS HF receiver station was high in the mountains of Sugar Grove, WV in what is now the National Radio Quiet Zone. The receiving antenna was a massive pair of AN/FRD-10 Wullenwebber circularly disposed antenna arrays (CDAAs) that replaced the much noiser former receiver site in Cheltenham, MD in 1969.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=38.5146949&lon=-79.2784166&z=13&l=0&m=b&search=38.5146949n%2C%2079.2784166w

73
Frank
W3LPL